Tuesday, April 1, 2008

So Long. Farewell. Auf Wiedersehen. Good Night.



Amidst the hustle and bustle of final goodbyes and packing, the team wanted to share a few final thoughts. As the reality of our near departure is sinking in, we have all taken special care to “stop and smell the roses”. We are purposefully spending quality time with each other, the locals, while basking in the natural beauty. It is difficult to say goodbye to the place that has quickly become home and especially to the people who have welcomed us into their hearts and lives. Dwight and Lynn have been mentors, supports, encouragers, and friends.

One especially memorable goodbye occurred at the school, where the team prepared a morning of activities for the students. Arriving at 9am African time (9:30am), we set up four stations: silly songs, arts and crafts, snack and toothbrush demonstration, and an animal relay/Frisbee extravaganza. The festivities went off without a hitch, with even the teachers getting involved in singing silly songs and running races. It was incredible to have the opportunity to pour out our love and care and show our appreciation. Backtracking to Monday afternoon, we visited seven orphan homes to deliver food and supplies. The experience was meaningful because it represented our having come full circle. Shortly after arriving to Mucombeze one month ago, we visited these same families and were overwhelmed with culture shock. However, this time around we were able to comfortably greet people by name and follow-up on their concerns. Amazing how so much can change in a short time… We wanted to thank all of you who have faithfully read about our experiences, and supported us as we’ve been away. Know that we have carried you close to our hearts, despite the vast physical distance! As a team we thought it would be special for each member share to summarize what this experience has meant to them:

This Mozambican experience has provided me not only with an opportunity to challenge myself professionally, but also to challenge myself personally. My borders have stretched far beyond Canada, and I believe I have fallen in love with rural Mozambique and its people.

- April

I can hardly believe it is time to leave the place that has quickly become home. The country of Mozambique and its people are so beautiful. I highly recommend this type of international practicum to anyone.

- LeeAnne

It seems like only yesterday I was counting down the days until I left for Mozambique and yet this farm feels like home. This experience has affected me in a way I had not expected and I know I am returning to Canada a changed person.

- Brittany

The children I met here in rural Mozambique are those who touched me the most. The smiles of these little children will stay in my heart forever. What a beautiful was to end my nursing school.

- Cindy

My experience at Farm Mucombeze has restored me personally and transformed me professionally. Far exceeding any souvenir, the genuine smiles and laughter on the faces of the children that we’ve come to love, and the testimonies the local men and women about how useful the information that we taught would be in their daily lives, will resonate in my heart long after I leave this beautiful, desperate place.

- Lark

This has truly been a memorable and valuable life experience. It has brought me back to the basics of life in knowing what it takes to survive and feel genuine happiness. I will never forget the openness, love, friendship, and beauty shared from the children, women and families that hold a spot in my heart!

- Candace

1 comment:

Lynn said...

It's quite strange here without you girls. Thank you for coming, participating and leaving a legacy behind. Trust you're well on your happy ways to some great time "off" after your hard work here. Love from us all here in the bush.

Lynn